Child Support Collection
Child support is the money that one parent pays to their guardian of their children. Child support can be paid when a parent has custody of the child and when they live with the other custodial parent. In most cases, child support is paid when one parent does not live with the child and does not have full custody. The child support can be used for general expenses or it can be used to pay for specific things for the child.
When the child support is not paid in a timely fashion, the problems can become serious. Not paying child support that has been ordered by a court can be a serious offense. Paying late or not paying the full amount of child support that is owed can also be problematic. The Office of the Attorney General is often responsible for overseeing the payment of child support that has been agreed upon or ordered.
If a guardian is not receiving the child support due, resolving it is not always easy. The person that is supposed to pay the child support may be difficult to find or it may be difficult to collect the money. By working with the OAG, it becomes easier to find ways to get the money including using wage garnishment and the withholding of the money directly from a paycheck.
People often have the following types of questions;
- Can I pay my child support directly to the mom?
- Do I get credit for child support paid to the mom?
- Why do I have to pay my child support to the Office of the Attorney General of Texas?
- Does items I purchase for my kid count as child support?
- Do I get credit for things I buy for my kid?
- Do I have to pay child support if I don’t have a job?
- How do I lower my child support if I lose my job?
- Why do I have to pay child support if I don’t have a job?
- How long does child support go for?
- When does child support stop?
- Do I have to pay back child support if the child is over 18?
- Do I have to pay child support if the child now lives with me?
- Who collects child support?
- How is child support collected?
- Why can’t I pay child support directly to the mom?
- Can we determine the amount of child support without the Attorney General or OAG of Texas?
- Can I go to jail for not paying child support?
- Does owing back child support affect my credit?
- Does owing back child support affect my visitation?
- Do mothers have to pay child support?
English | Español
can be contacted by
phone or text at 713-588-9770
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization