America Family Law Center strives to help families with Free Family Law Assistance. The goal is to help close the Justice Gap for low-income Texans. The organization seeks to make as many services as possible free to the public. The organization focuses on providing greater access to justice to low-income Texans. Additional services are provided to clients.
Public Services – Free Family Law Assistance
America Family Law Center makes available, for free, to the public, the following public services:
- educational materials for parents and parenting,
- publications from the State Bar of Texas and other agencies,
- facilitate access to resources such as TexasLawHelp.org and lawyer referral service,
- referrals to parenting programs recognized by the courts and others,
- family law hotline (cannot advise caller on a specific case),
- collaboration on parenting resources,
- facilitate access to divorce and single-parent resources,
- programs and resources for incarcerated parents (temporarily discontinued), and
- a call-in radio talk show focused on family law issues (temporarily discontinued).
America Family Law Center makes available, for a fee, to its clients, the following Client Services:
- all public services as described above
- access to unlimited office consultations with licensed attorneys
- legal questions answered by knowledgeable, licensed attorneys
- strategize your case, formulate plans, learn what an attorney says you can and can’t do
- know your rights – as a custodial parent, non-custodial parent, grandparent, or caregiver
- learn what an attorney would advise you to do, or not do, in various situations
- assistance with a demand letter or notice
- have your legal documents and forms reviewed by a licensed attorney
- understand what your existing court documents mean, your rights, your obligations
- help to prepare for your day in court
- learn how the family law courts and legal system function
- access to services and assistance specifically for self-represented parties
- access to resources explicitly related to family law matters
- access to unlimited and free notary service
- use of computers and internet access
- use of copiers and fax machines
- online file storage for electronic documents
- learn how to have a person served
- learn how to file your documents with the clerk
- access to referrals to reduced fee process services
- access to referrals to reduced fee investigative services
- access to staff assistance with general, non-legal, matters
The fee for Client Services ranges from $0 to $350, and Client Services typically continues for an entire year with no additional fee to America Family Law Center. Client Services includes only those services provided by the offices of America Family Law Center. Client Services does not include: an attorney going to court with clients; filing documents; payment of any filing fees; a process of service; fees for a process of service; private investigations; fees for investigative services; drafting legal documents; responding to discovery requests; subpoenaing witnesses; performing depositions; and others. Client Services may include referrals to and discounts for some services that are not included in Client Services.
Some attorneys may volunteer at America Family Law Center’s offices, and may be referred to as “Volunteer Attorneys.” These Volunteer Attorneys, who are often private practice attorneys, volunteer at America Family Law Center’s offices, which helps to keep Client Services fees low. As part of Client Services, Volunteer Attorneys do not volunteer to go to court with clients or represent clients in their cases. America Family Law Center does not prohibit any of its clients from hiring an attorney, including any Volunteer Attorney, to represent them in their case, which would be an agreement by and between the client and the attorney and would be entirely separate and apart from the Client Services provided by America Family Law Center.
Closing the Justice Gap
It is widely recognized that many people with family law related matters neither have the financial means to hire an attorney traditionally nor they do they receive legal aid – referred to as the Justice Gap. America Family Law Center strives to help those people in the Justice Gap by offering free family law assistance. If a person has the means to hire an attorney traditionally, America Family Law Center encourages them to do so. If a person is offered legal aid, America Family Law Center invites them to take advantage of it. However, for those who have a family law related matter, cannot afford an attorney, and do not receive legal aid, then America Family Law Center may be able to help.
English | Español