Guardianship is also called a conservatorship. In most cases the need to establish a legally binding conservatorship is not needed. Parents accept this as long as they are together and the child is their responsibility. When parents are not together, it may become necessary to have someone appointed as a managing conservator or a possessory conservator of a child. The person that has this conservatorship for a child is the one that is responsible for making the decisions for the child.

The need for a conservatorship can happen for many reasons. It is important that both the conservator and the child is protected under this agreement. It is also important to make sure the terms of the agreement are followed. Legal representation can make sure that this happens without the emotions that can become involved. It is in the best interest of all parties to include proper legal help for conservator issues.

Referenced questions :

  • What does conservatorship mean?
  • What rights are covered by conservatorship?
  • What conservator rights does a non-custodial parent get?
  • What conservator rights does a custodial parent get?
  • What is joint conservator in Texas?
  • What are parental rights in Texas?
  • How can I terminate my parental rights?
  • How can I terminated the father’s parental rights?
  • Can I give up my parental rights?
  • Who decides what conservator rights each parent gets?
  • How do I know what conservator rights I have?


English | Español

America Family Law Center
can be contacted by
phone or text at 713-588-9770
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization