Debt is normal in the United States. When a person takes on any debt or if they agree to be financially responsible for paying an amount to another person, they become an obligor. In some case this a person may become the Oligee through a judgment imposed by the court. The party that is receiving the money is the obligee.


In child support cases there is a court order that determines the obligee and obligor.  The person receiving the child support is the obligee.  This person is typically the custodial parent who the child reside with the majority of the time.

If the obligor (paying party) doesn’t pay the child support the obligee has few options other than going back to court.  In this case, the obligee would be asking for an Enforcement of the existing child support order to compel the obligor to pay.  If the obligor does not pay they may be held in contempt of court and even face jail time.

People often have the following types of questions:

  • How do I collect child support?
  • What do I do if I don’t get the child support owed to me?
  • What happens if the father will not pay child support?
  • What are my rights if I don’t get my child support?
  • How do I get paid for child support?
  • How do I find out how much child support I get?
  • Who determines the amount of child support owed to me?
  • What happens if I am owed back child support?
English  |  Español

America Family Law Center
can be contacted by
phone or text at 214-516-7700
Children need their parents