Visitation, in the United States, is the right of a non-custodial parent to have visits with their children. Children need to be able to spend time with both of their parents. In many cases, the problems that parents have with each other are taken out on the children. The rights of one parent may be withheld because of the disputes between the adults.


Visitation agreements are designed to make sure that both of the parents are provided with time with their children. The agreement will spell out all of the terms of the agreement. Things such as how often a parent will have visitation with the child, how long the visit will last, where the visit can be done, how the exchange of the child will take place, the need for additional supervision during the visitation, the financial responsibilities of both parents and many other areas need to be covered in the agreement.

The agreement is designed to not only protect the parents of the child and help them to see their child, it is also meant to protect the child to make sure that they are not caught in the middle of the disputes of the parents. The agreement also needs to include ways to resolve disputes about visitation, when and how the agreement can be amended or revoked and how it will be enforced.

People often have the following types of questions:

  • What is child visitation?
  • Who has visitation rights?
  • What is the difference between visitation and possession or access?
  • Do grandparents have visitation rights?
  • What is a non-custodial parent?
  • What is the difference between child visitation and child custody?
  • How does child visitation compare to child custody?
  • How is child visitation enforced?
  • What do I do if I don’t get to see my child?
  • What can I do if I am denied visitation with my child?
  • What does supervised visitation mean?
  • What is supervised visitation?
  • How is supervised visitation different from regular child visitation?
  • Who supervises supervised visitation?
  • Why do I have to have supervised visitation?
  • How can I put my child’s father on supervised visitation?
  • Why don’t mothers get visitation?
English  |  Español

America Family Law Center
can be contacted by
phone or text at 214-516-7700
Children need their parents